Future Alice - The Alles Project
The Screens of Alles
The ALLES (Alice) Project
The Alles (Alice) Project
The Alles Project is a journey that peers past the horizon… toward the far future… of music and sound. The goals is to explore new worlds. To extend our imagination of what is possible... what is meaningful... and what is beautiful.
Welcome to a Sonic Rabbit Hole where we visit:
- New terrains of algorithmic permutational patterns... recursive loops, emergent, and fractal sequencing, multiple non-linear time., algorithmic generated tuning systems.
- A place where the listener is surrounded (360 degrees) by a constellation of points of sound - where the listener walks into a point of sound to discover a totally new universe of sound and music.
- A world where islands of music float in space. Each island represents alternative worlds of tonality and harmony… revealing other worldly feelings and emotions.
- As holograms of light create three dimensional images that float in space, 3D images of holographic sound re(creates) sound in all its dimensionality.
- An environment where “living presence” is a digital reality… reestablishing the depth of human to human contact digitally... systems that encode the unheard elements of sound (subharmonics and overtones) and reproduce the sounds of the invisible faithfully.
The Alles (Alice) Project is inspired by one of the most important of rabbit holes: the first digital synthesizer developed at Bell Laboratories in the 1970s. The ALLES Machine was originally named after its developer, Hall Alles. However, it was affectionately dubbed “Alice” in recognition of all the baby “rabbit holes” it opened for just about everyone who came into contact with the machine. The underlying machinery, both hard and soft, influenced technologies and opened entire new realms of sound and music. Our initial software programs emulate the algorithmic permutations used in the Alles Machine. (Listen to Don Slepian’s “Sea of Bliss”.)
We are an informal collective of composers, programmers, A.I. experts – and even a few dancers, choreographers, and visual artists. It’s an open-door policy. Whoever shows up to our development meetings is welcome. The core includes:
- Charles - Programmer-in-Chief and JAVA evangelist.
- Stuart - It's complicated.
- Don - Former Artist-in-Residence at Bell Labs.
- Matt - Professional Composer and Comedian (really).
And then there is Bell Labs itself, one of the most important source of rabbit holes in human history. The fable includes Max Matthews' creation in 1957 of the first music software, MUSIC-N. Our story also includes some of the best kept secrets of Bell Labs... tales of what happened late in the night… once the regular lab rats had gone home. Only then did the other side emerge, the night folks, dabbling and dawdling, creating the very foundations of all modern digital arts.
Stay tuned: More to come.
Picture of Don Slepian at work with The Alles Machine (circa 1980).
Some First Experiments
The Cosmic Scream
The Cosmic Scream was generated by the algorithm associated with The Fibonacci Sequence or The Golden Mean. When laid out on a time line it creates a sonic recursive loop. The images appears to be similar to how we commonly imagine a Spiral Nebulae or perhaps a Black Hole. One listener described it as the Scream heard at the Birth of the Universe.
Palindrome takes the first half of the Cosmic Scream sequence and then reverses it and ties it back to itself to create a prefect palindrome. The composition is then split into layers and each layer is assigned to different instruments' to create a chamber music composition. (SD)
C H - 1.22 is based on graphic gestural movements -- computer mouse movements over a grid. The software transforms the unsteadiness of the human hand into more nuanced and consistent shapes. (SD)
GeoForms assembles geometric forms to create the motifs of a music composition. (SD)
Diamond Opus II - piano.mp3
A study in timelessness. Sounds are calculated in absolute time intervals - divisions of seconds (e.g. 1", .8", 2", .35"). Also, each instrumental runs at its own speed (independent tempos). The result feels organic due to the inherent mathematical proportions as it defies typical time signature regulation. (SD)
Diamond Opus II - ambient sounds+ pitches (1).mp3
A different orchestration and tonality of Opus I! (SD)
Nutcracker Two Step Quickly_5-19-22.mp3
Algorithmic generated sequencing produces recognizable moments. (SD)
EWI Flight One.mp3
A digital wind synthesizer takes flight over a bed of Alles generated accompaniment. (SD)
OPUS 3 Flute + Gamelon.mp3
A simple experiment of composing with numbers and mathematical formulae, (SD)
CHurch of FRactals.mp3
A deep dive into the World of Fractals extracting evolving motivic fragments. When transformed into sounds, a paradoxical music of placid ambience with rising tension. emerges. (SD)
© Copyright 2022 Being Alice